LSAT Diary: My Biggest Hurdle - Studying for the LSAT in Korea

LSAT Diary Biggest Hurdle Studying Korea
This installment of LSAT Diaries comes from Yoonki, who's studying for the June 2016 LSAT. He writes to us from the border between South and North Korea.

If you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)

Thanks to Yoonki for sharing his story!


Yoonki's LSAT Diary:

안녕하세요 Ahnyounghasaeyo! My name is Yoonki, currently residing in Dongducheon, South Korea, 30 miles north of famous Seoul.

I will be sharing my journey to Law School. I am 27 years old, working as an English teacher, resident advisor here at Korean alternate Christian School working with students at risks near the borderline between South and North Korea. Many come from one parent homes, have history of attempted suicide, and could not adjust to the public school system here in South Korea where they highly focus on the academics.

As I do life with the youths, eating, sleeping, playing, studying, and laughing, though many often times I want to punch them badly, I have begun to sense the relationships with the youths are fueling my desire to be a lawyer for the youths.

Actually, my journey to law school goes back to Early 2012 when I came back from the Army Reserve Training. Yes, I am in the Reserves as well, thankfully, there is a unit here in Yongsan, Korea for me to attend training. When I began my studies back in 2012, I quickly realized I lacked my basic literacy skills and was not disciplined in many areas of life to begin the journey. After five months of grueling studies, I decided to let it go out of life.

For next two years, I became a youth pastor for a Korean American church in Seattle, started a non-profit organization for students with the disabilities, and sold life insurance on the side to make the ends meet and to support the work that I was passionate for. That passion led me to come to Korea and work at an alternate school for the youths at risks and ultimately helping me to find myself in the same road to LSAT I was in 2012.

So in short, in January of 2015, I made a decision to study for the LSAT once again, my biggest huddle so far in life. For less than a year, I have been juggling with the series of Logical Reasoning problems which I had most hard time with and more than a full-time commitment with the youths at school and frequent military trainings.

Even more than 6 months of part time studies with LSAT it was hard to believe that I was around mid-150s on my practice tests. Beginning in November of 2015, I have been completely restricting my life around LSAT and getting the guidance from Steve and his blogs, courses, and schedules he offers. I have begun to realize that there is so much correlation between LSAT and life and hopefully to Law studies. I have begun to enjoy the process rather than looking at it painfully.

Yes, there are times I want to trash all the books and live comfortably here in Korea, but I know that is not the way to use my life and time. My hope is not to give up and stay focus with the schedule Steve has set up in his 6-month schedule. I am planning to take June LSAT and hope to apply for the 2017 cycle.

Blessings,

Yoon





No comments:

Post a Comment