3 biggest LSAT mistakes (and LSAT study plans)

I made a lot of dumb mistakes back when I was studying...and it took a while before I was willing to admit this....but

it actually took me a FULL YEAR to master the LSAT!!!


I probably could've been done with it in less than half that time if I'd gone about things the right way from the beginning.

After I learned the RIGHT way to do things, I made a list of all my mistakes (at least, the ones I could think of).

I'm not going to share the whole thing because it's too embarrassing (and long)...

but today I AM going to share with you the three BIGGEST mistakes I can think of:


#3) didn't use right books / PrepTests

Spent too much time on older exams, not enough on newer ones.

I actually considered not getting the newest exams at all just because they were 8 bucks each (LSAC hadn't put them in books of 10 yet.)

In hindsight, this was pretty stupid because the most recent exams are the most relevant!

Doesn't make sense to try to save $40 on 5 individual exams if it means getting a lower score (costing thousands in lost scholarship $$$, future income, etc.)

So...get the newest LSAT exams.



#2) didn't review

Instead, I just took test after test, hoping my score would magically improve ---they didn't.

I already talked about this a few weeks ago in my email about how to review, but the bottom line is:


Don't JUST analyze the stimulus or passage (for LR/RC)...make sure you ALSO analyze answer choices.

* What was it in the incorrect answer choice you chose that tempted you? Then identify what made it wrong in the end.

Orrrrr...

* If there was something in the correct answer that made it seem unappealing, identify what it was. And identify what made it correct in the end.



#1) didn't have a study plan

I put this one first because I'd say not having a study plan was probably -- no, definitely -- my biggest mistake.

I talked about this a bit above, but, basically, I jumped right into taking practice tests without learning the fundamentals first.

And my scores didn't go up because I wasn't actually learning strategies to attack the questions BEFORE trying to attack them!

Sounds obvious in hindsight....


but with all these books of old tests out there (and thrill of POSSIBLY getting a higher score next time), I kind of got addicted to taking PrepTests, measuring my scores, and looking for trends. I had lists, spreadsheets, graphs, etc...it was all kinda nuts.


Anyway, what I needed was someone to sit me down, kick my ass when I needed it, and show me exactly what I should be doing every. single. day.

I didn't have that, so it took me WAYYYY too long to crack the LSAT "code."

So I made day-by-day LSAT study plans for you all because I wished I had a real plan of attack when I was studying. It would've been a LOT easier if I knew exactly how to use all the practice tests and other books.


Whether you've got a plan yet or not, I know many of you still have questions about the nitty-gritty logistics of studying, how to use study plans, etc.

So, on that page, I've answered some of the most common questions students ask me about LSAT study plans, and I share my best day-by-day LSAT study plans.

Or just feel free to reach out directly via email: LSATUnplugged@gmail.com






No comments:

Post a Comment