10 Tips to Prepare for the Day of the LSAT

Make sure to save this and re-read it the week before your exam so you'll know what to do.

The week before:

1. Visit your LSAT test center.

The best way to get rid of pre-test jitters is to see where you'll be taking the LSAT.

2. Decide what you'll wear.

This isn't Project Runway - I'm talking about comfort. Wear a couple of layers, including your lucky t-shirt or sweatshirt. It doesn't matter what time of year it is. The room you're in might be hot or cold. Hoodies aren't permitted, though. When I took the LSAT, security wouldn't let me bring mine in. I was forced to stash it in a nearby park because test centers don't have a place to check banned items.


3. Decide what you'll bring.

Fill a see-through plastic bag with your admission ticket, #2 pencils, energy bars, bananas, a bottle of water, photo ID, a logic game (#9 explains why), and an analog watch. Make sure you bring a watch because it's possible that the room won't have a clock. Consider bringing a magazine or something to read on your way to the test center. See the Law School Admissions Council's day of test rules since the rules are updated frequently. Security does not allow you to bring a cell phone, so plan how you'll manage.


4. Relax the day before your exam.

If you studied for a decent period of time, one more day won't make a big difference. It's good to take a break so you don't burn out. Remember - there's a world beyond the LSAT!


5. Get to bed early the night before and set multiple alarms.

You want to be well-rested for the exam. Make sure you don't drink anything with caffeine after 3PM.


The morning of your exam:

6. Rise and shine.

Hopefully, you've been waking up early all week and you're well-rested, so this shouldn't be difficult.


7. Eat a big breakfast.

I've heard several people recommend that you eat a light breakfast. I believe that it's better to eat a full meal. Remember, you will be at your test center for several hours. I've heard stories of students being stuck at their test center for half a day or longer after the LSAT proctor screwed up. This probably won't happen, but it's best to be prepared so you're not hungry.


8. Leave for the test center early.

You never know when you'll have a traffic jam or public transportation delay. If you'll be getting there by car, save the phone number of a local taxi service just in case your car breaks down or won't start. This is especially important if you're taking the LSAT in the winter, and you live somewhere cold.


9. Complete a logic game right before the exam.

When you're just outside test center, take a few minutes to re-do your "favorite" logic game or a few logical reasoning questions that didn't give you any trouble. Completing these will boost your confidence and get your brain warmed-up. This way, your first LSAT question of the day won't be the first one on the real exam.


10. Chill.

The LSAT's only a test. Of course it's a big deal, but if test day doesn't go according to plan, you'll always be able to retake it, and you can cancel your score up to six days after the test date.



7 comments:

  1. I'm definitely bringing my "bottle of war" (as per #3)...I'll need all the battleground mindset I can handle on test day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!!! thanks for your tips, they're really important. Stress alone reduces my score in 5+ points. However been too much relaxed has also a detrimental effect. I really need to be intense and energetic in order to have a good score. You could write something about that.....

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't seem to find what "war" is. Can anyone tell me? Thank's in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Steve,

    This is the first time I am posting a comment on your blog although I have been visiting it for the past several months. More than for the extremely helpful tips and advice, I visit your blog for the inspiration I get - your enthusiasm is truly infectious. I am gonna send you a write-up for the 'diary' section soon.

    I write here to ask one basic question about the test center. I can not work w/o coffee at my elbows. Though, off-late, I've been trying to because I believe it is not allowed at the test center. But can you please let me know for sure. Would it be okay if I take in my bag a thermos flask containing hot coffee to the test center? Would I be allowed to take the coffee in the break, which I believe comes after the first 3 sections are done?

    Thanks a lot for all your suggestions on the blog.

    Best regards,
    Jaimin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi everyone! Taking the LSAT next Monday (June 10th) in New Orleans! Does anyone know if the LSAT allows use of ear plugs? I get easily distracted when under pressure during an exam and have found that using ear plugs really helps.

    ReplyDelete
  6. No earplugs allowed unfortunately

    ReplyDelete
  7. How early would you recommend arriving to your test site?

    ReplyDelete