LSAT Diary: Prep in the Final Week Before Test Day

LSAT Blog Prep Final Week Before Test Day
If you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)

Please leave Kerri some encouragement and advice below in the comments!

Kerri's LSAT Diary:

A little more than one week until I take the LSAT. It's unreal to me. I took a practice test (under distracting conditions) and had only improved my score by two points. This week was so outrageously busy with an exam, a paper, a group project, work meetings, and on top of that I seem to have contracted bronchitis so I have a coughing fit that can last up to like 2 minutes like twice an hour - it's awful. Finally got to the doctor today and got some steroids to clear me up, but I was so adamant about getting better that I demanded she give me a back up plan.

So, in case the steroids don't work by Monday, I have a prescription already written that I can fill and get Monday to be better by Wednesday. I seriously stressed how important the LSAT was to the doctor and I told her that if I coughed that much during the LSAT that they'd tie me up and shove me in a closet because the test is that important to everyone.

I've only taken one practice test this week (yikes, I know) but I am about to take one now. Here's the thing that I learned, and it is so simple, but I bet a lot of you would make the same mistake. I have taken ~7 practice tests and graded them. I have scored in an 8 point range (and my highest is 4 points below my ideal score boo). I thought all I have to do is take timed practice tests to be ready for the LSAT. WRONG!

Taking practice test after practice test isn't how you learn (though it is so important to do!) When you take a practice test and look at the answers (and if the reasoning for the answers is there -that too), you don't necessarily get smarter. You need to look at what you've been doing and focus on your weaknesses.

For example, my first 6 practice tests were all weak in one area- Logical Reasoning. But it's more than realizing that. You need to go back to each question and see: am I missing all of the "Necessary Assumption Questions?" And explore those. An assumption is something that is pretty much required for the conclusion to exist. That's not all I learned-- Did you know that if "Jack or John goes to a party" this could entail *Jack go John no go" "Jack no go John no go" AND "Jack go John go" --?? There are some words on this exam that you have seen before but they have different meanings. LOOK AT THAT. Know the LSAT vocabulary.

Other than those fun tips all I can really say (if I haven't said it before) is get used to using regular pencils again. I know it's weird and awful and mechanical pencils are so much more fun. I went out tonight and bought pencils and a pencil sharpener. My life is thrilling. I am just ready to relax though I probably will not do until I get my test results.

I am on day 15 with no Facebook (if I can do it you can do it) and I haven't been to a bar in~50 days. Take away distractions in your life. I feel focused and it feels good. I don't even mind studying for this test. Its not bad material and its nice to have a routine.

PS I checked out my testing center the other day- just the general location. I need to check out parking soon. My LSAT Registration ticket is printed and I am trying to prep for my week of "taking it easy" LSAT wise. Time to wind down and have faith in my studying to get me through this!!

Thinking positive thoughts :)

Photo by bdorfman



5 comments:

  1. I think you'l do fine. Lately I've been in a rut, scoring around 12-14 on logical reasoning. But, I realize it's because of overlooked key words and spending too much time on a particular question. I also try to review the answers to my quizzes/test after I score them. I hope it gets me up to my usual 14-18 point score range. I bombed the october lsat and took 3 weeks off before studying for the December. I had previously been studying since June with a Kaplan course for the October LSAT. I hope that my break didn't ruin all the progress I made. I bombed because I foolishly decided to take 5 hour energy during the test, big mistake..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Kerri! I too, am going on my third week sand Facebook! It really cuts down on procrastination!
    @Gabe, I took a 5 hour energy right before a preptest once...no bueno. My mind was like hyper-active toddler on steroids meets Lindsay Lohan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took my October LSAT that seriously; much to my detriment. I don't have text anxiety, but I think I put so much thought into the "perfect" test prep (I drove to the test center too) that I psyched myself out.

    I'm retaking next Saturday, and plan on drinking 4-5 nights until then, not going to bed early, drinking as much coffee as I want, and maybe eating breakfast.

    I'm not advocating this for everyone, but rather trying to say let the test be an extension of YOU. If ultra-hardcore prep is your bag, then do it. If you're a pressure-motivated person who thrives on added challenges and difficulty? Well give yourself something extra!

    "Yeah, I did pretty good. I was even hungover and almost late! I had to get up to pee 3 times during the test, but I raced through the rest of it to make up time. Now who wants to go drinkin'?"

    Caleb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck!
    I am in the same boat and now have just under a week to get through. I also thought to stay away from facebook, but I went as far as to temporarily delete my account so I wouldn't be distracted by the notifications on my phone and email as well. The bar part comes easy to me. I work in a very busy college age night club/bar. I bartend until 1am every thursday, friday, and saturday. It leaves me little time to be distracted by alcohol.
    I hope all goes well for you and everyone else taking the test next weekend.

    -Chelsea

    ReplyDelete