June 2011 LSAT: LSAT Diaries, Part 1

LSAT Blog June 2011 LSAT LSAT DiariesLSAT Blog reader Jessica has written a series of LSAT Diaries chronicling her experience in the countdown to the June 2011 LSAT.

This is the 1st of a 3-part series containing her story.

If you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)

Thanks to Jessica for sharing her experience and advice, and please leave your questions for her below in the comments!


Jessica's LSAT Diaries, Part 1:

T-Minus 10 Days and Counting

Honestly, I've been avoiding a countdown to test day because it it freaks me out. I tried to start one when the June 2011 LSAT was a month out but had to throw it away after only 2 days because I think it was inducing panic attacks. Even when people innocently say, "So what - a couple of weeks to the LSAT?" makes my heart speed up. SHUT UP genuinely interested friend/coworker!! Do not speak of that date!

Obviously I am insane. I work full time. In a job that requires travel. Try prep testing in an airport. I can promise at no point does "Attention airport patrons, security alert..." becomes ambient noise. I'm still finishing my undergrad in Political Science so I have school work on top of LSAT studying. Worse, it's only two elective credits left so my egotistical self decides on Business Law and Ethical Philosophy. I'll ace Business Law; I'm going to be a lawyer. Except I get a C. GPA lowered. Ego bruised. Hmm...just how unethical is it to buy your law degree online?

Add in having a 6 year old who talks about the "day after Mommy's test" as if it will be better than Christmas morning.

Crazy, stressed out and a bad parent? I'm going to have to buy that kid a pony. Woe is me.

I'm trying to come up with a game plan. How do I spend these last 10 days? I spent MONTHS on the Analytical Reasoning because A, B, C and D going to X, Y, Z on nonsensical days for random reasons. Why am I sorting bugs by the following constraints in order to go to law school?? I don't want to be a bug lawyer. Or a sorting lawyer.

Whilst, I was disheartened, there was an "ah-ha" moment and now that section is going...better. You know, like things in the Congo are going...better.

I've decided to focus entirely on Logical Reasoning for the rest of my 10 days. I can read and comprehend, so I'm not too worried about that section. I can write (hello, blogging) so I feel good about that as well. But, while a month ago I would've told you I knew how to use logic, I apparently don't. At least not according to the LSAT - who I have now decided are evil incarnates.

So the schedule for the next 10 days is going to be made up on the fly because despite my best efforts to organize, I really don't know what the dickens I'm doing at this point.



T-Minus 9 Days and Counting

Apparently I would rather do anything other than study. I was supposed to get up this morning, study and then maybe go to the pool. So what did I do this morning? Well I did get up...

Then I cleaned. What's so bad about cleaning, Jessica? Obviously I need to keep house in order to not have my child taken by the Department of Children & Families. But if you'll remember - I travel; thus my house is never all that dirty and I have a maid who comes for extortion-esque prices twice a month to dust and break my knick-knacks. I have no reason to be cleaning unless it's to break my own knick-knacks.

Is procrastination a sufficient condition to failing the LSAT? I wouldn't know. Instead of studying conditional reasoning, I'm cleaning.

After cleaning, I decided to watch Univision. I don't speak Spanish. Not even a little. Maybe one or two really dirty words that aren't allowed on the regular cable version of Univision. Is there an HBO equivalent to Univision? If so, I'd probably pay to watch that instead of study too. I've decided to Google that next instead of studying.

To make myself feel better, I did try to think about the LSAT whilst watching the Spanish-language channel that I don't understand. I reviewed cause and affect - watching Univision over studying will affect my score.

I'M SO STUDYING AND LEARNING SPANISH at the same time! It's like electronic osmosis!! Si? Or do you need water for osmosis? If so, I am heading to the pool. Don't judge me, I want to be a lawyer, not a molecular biologist.

I am taking my book just in case I'm right about this osmosis thing.



T-Minus 8 Days and Counting

Is it entirely ridiculous to report myself to Facebook in order to get myself banned? Or perhaps I should appeal to the mercy of social media outlets and ask for a temporary injunction against my use until after the LSAT? I will write an appeal to Twitter - in 140 characters or less - explaining my plight and beg them to stop my tweeting. Say something? I will not! What's on my mind? Studying and nothing but!

Stupid internet. I tell myself that looking up LSAT tips, researching schools, etc. is studying. I spent a 30+ minutes perusing the Google Street View of the Georgetown law school's campus. I'll already know where everything is!

Too bad I probably won't get in because of epic time wasting. That's a half hour I've squandered! What if that was the game-changing study time?

Dammit! Instead of cracking books at one of the best law schools in the country, I'll be cracking eggs as a short-order fry cook in a Waffle House in north Georgia. I might as well go ahead and start doing meth now...WOW, I am dramatic. Perhaps I should look into acting. In which case I should probably hold off on the meth plan since actors need pretty teeth.

Look, that was Conditional Reasoning! Hooray! I'm feeling inspired again! I'm going to rock this test! I'll be strolling that familiar Georgetown campus in no time!



T-Minus 7 Days & Counting

Screw you Mother Earth! Why exactly must it be so flipping nice outside today?!? It's sunny, blue skies, perfect poolside 91 degrees. But I'm not at the pool. No, no my sad self is sitting inside with the curtains drawn so I can pretend it's the Apocalypse outside instead of meteorological perfection.

And just how many holidays must this country have? I've been studying for the LSAT since August 2010 (I was originally going to take the Feb. 2011) and I've literally run the gamut of calendar celebrations.

"Surely you can hang out just a little...it is [insert holiday here] after all?" No I will not partake in Administrative Professionals Day with you people!

Every single one of my friends has had a birthday. My daughter turned 6 and started kindergarten. My parents threw a going away gala before moving to the beach. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, NYE, milestone after milestone and I bailed on them all, with a meek "There will be another Easter next year..."

I feel guilty and annoyed at the same time. My bff got engaged and announced the happy news to me with the disclaimer promising not to plan the date before the LSAT. Ugh! I'm a bad friend and she's a great friend for that which makes me a worse, maybe even tyrannical friend.

No one understands. All I want is to be at the party/pool/dinner/movie/vacation/jury duty instead of studying. But I can't. Hopefully all the friends, family and sunshine will be there post-LSAT.

Photo by bobaubuchon



No comments:

Post a Comment