LSAT Diaries: Starting to Understand the LSAT

LSAT Blog Diary Starting Understand LSATThis LSAT Diary is from Jason, who writes in with his thoughts on starting to understand the LSAT.

If you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)

Leave Jason some encouragement below in the comments!

Jason's LSAT Diary:

Nudging past a 173 is a very difficult accomplishment. I am not sure that is realistic for me in another 6 weeks. In each LR section, there are almost always 2 questions that are either time killers or really tricky. (Parallel reasoning questions with Except, Unless in 2 of 3 conditional statements in the stem and then the answers are contrapositives in a different order. Nightmare in 1:30.) The LSAT is not like the SAT/ACT -- where a top scorer has a relaxed time to spare. I find myself working right up to the second on these sections!

At present, everything has to line up just right for me to make a 172-173 on a practice test. I need to answer the first 10 LR questions in about 8:30, then work 11-15 in about 1:30 each, then 20-end in 1:40, then spend a careful bit on 16,17,18,19. I am carelessly missing Qs 13,16,17 very consistently.

RC, I miss typically 1-2. Most often, just 1. Hard to refine that much further. Also, I've burned through all the comparative passages published. Other than deconstructing those, I have an absence of material.

I have a lot of range right now: I could see potentially missing anywhere from 4 to 11. I need to refine that.

I'm getting nervous -- making daily gains on LG then giving a few mistakes on LR. My first, and essentially, only choice school is SMU here in Dallas -- only because I can't relocate due to family commitments. And, I am not concerned about getting an acceptance offer, not at all, but the strength of my performance on this exam -- of course -- can make a substantial difference in the form of a scholarship package. (It's right at the edge of a T50 school, and very expensive, so they don't get a lot of 172+ scores applications.) I need to, undoubtedly superperform!

I've been actually putting together a number of my own stims, questions stems, flaws and args. That's been an incredible way to really burrow into the test-maker's mentality. Just this past week, I felt that unity -- that point where all the mechanistics internalized. I finished a new PT with a score of 175. That is my highest yet. But, best of all -- I had time. I was relaxed. I felt comfortable moving back and forth between time-drain questions and those that are easily doable.

I am starting, now, to really understanding the zen of the arguments. I understand what it means to not quite remember the rules but internalize them -- I'm starting to feel this way now. I am adding up the Sufficient Assumption questions quickly and read the negations as I roll through a N.A. question. Principle questions I now see the subtlety of different -- as minute as for the force, certainty, scope, order, logical reconstruction, etc. After a while, It's starting to make good sense.

Photo by Paul Watson



1 comment:

  1. Wow...that's all I have. I'm just starting the process of prepping for the LSAT. My goal is 166 so kudos to you for 175!

    ReplyDelete