LSAT Diary: 20-Point Score Improvement

This LSAT Diary is from Jessica, who improved her original LSAT score by 20 points on the February 2012 LSAT.

If you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)

Thanks to Jessica for sharing her experience and advice, and please leave your questions for her below in the comments!

Jessica's LSAT Diary:


I began studying for the LSAT when I was completing my BA Degree. I purchased LSAT study books and jumped right in to begin studying on my own. While studying I thought to myself “this test is going to be difficult” due to the fact that this was a type of test that I had never seen before in my life. The Reading Comprehension section was the only part of the test that I was familiar with. I then started signing up for LSAT Law Forums within my area. I also took a practice LSAT at a local university. My score on my practice LSAT was a 128. I was devastated, but I told myself that “I had to work harder.”

I signed up for my first Kaplan LSAT prep course in June 2010; I was planning on taking the LSAT in October. I honestly hoped that being in a classroom setting would improve my score. While taking practice tests at Kaplan the highest score that I received on a test was a 143, and my goal score was a 150-155. At the end of my first Kaplan course, I still did not feel prepared to take the October LSAT, so I withdrew my registration for the test. In October I retook the Kaplan course.

While in my second Kaplan course I met a guy named Mike, who was willing to be a study partner. We studied every chance we had. We were not just study partners, but a support system to one another. At this point I was thankful that I met Mike because I believe it is important to have someone there for you who understands one-hundred percent what you’re experiencing throughout this process. Before Mike and I met I felt very alone throughout this endeavor.

Throughout my second Kaplan course, I was still not reaching my goal score of 150-155, but I was bound and determined to take the December 2010 LSAT. Kaplan advised all of us to not study the day before the test, but Mike and I did. We went to a local library and worked through numerous LSAT questions. We completed our study session by early evening.

The morning of the December 2010 LSAT I woke up early. I was very nervous for two reasons. One reason was the LSAT and the other was that I was graduating from college with my BA. Due to the fact that I was scheduled to attend my graduation ceremony after the test I was dressed in business attire, make-up and my hair was nicely done. During the test I was so nervous about getting questions wrong and if I was going to make it to the graduation on time. Thus, I was unable to provide the needed concentration during the test.

I received my score a few weeks later. Mike and I were on the phone with each other when we opened our emails from LSAC, this made me feel strong and not alone. My score was a 143. After that point I knew I could not give up on my dream, but at the same I felt it would never come true due to the LSAT.

In October 2011 Mike and I both signed up for the Kaplan courses again. We were both signed up for the December LSAT. This time I was not going to let anything get in the way of my dream. Throughout the course my lowest LSAT practice test score was a 139 and the highest was what I received on the initial LSAT in December 2010, 143. Mike and I studied like we had never studied before. We studied during the week and the weekends. We ate, slept and breathed the LSAT. Again, I still did not feel adequately prepared to take the LSAT, so again I withdrew my registration for the December 2011 LSAT.

After I withdrew my December 2011 registration I started to hear negative feedback from certain friends and family members, such as, “your never going to do this (take the LSAT).” Hearing these negative comments, they fueled a fire inside me and knew that I could not give up on my dream of becoming an attorney.

Mike and I still studied and supported each other after the completion of our latter course. I decided that I was going to take the February 2012 LSAT, whether I felt ready or not. I had come to the conclusion, within myself, that you never feel 100% percent ready for something like this. Mike had decided to back out of the test once more. So, when I started studying on my own, I focused on the “argument sections” of the LSAT because those two sections are fifty percent of the test alone. Studying for Logic Games, I used the LSAT Blog study guide. I knew going into the test I would feel adequate within these two areas, the only area I was worried about come test day was Reading Comprehension.

I registered and took the February 2012 LSAT. I made sure that taking the LSAT was the only thing on my agenda for that day, so I would not feel rushed like before. I wore comfortable clothing, woke up early and had breakfast, and I made sure that I had adequate time to make it to the test center and study for about a half-an-hour before the test started. After the test a lot of people asked me “how do you think you did?” and I would reply “I have no idea, and it doesn’t matter now, what’s done is done.” I didn’t feel there was any sense worrying about it until I got my score.

When I received my score via email I was completely nervous and thought “here it goes.” I opened up the email and saw that I improved my score (from my LSAT) by five points. I received a 148. Overall, I improved my score by twenty points, and I am proud of myself. I honestly thought my LSAT score was going to be worse off then my initial LSAT score.

So far I have applied to seven law schools throughout the United States and I have never felt better. I know my journey is just beginning and I am up for the challenge of law school. I have told many people within my life that failure is not an option for me!

Photo by sterlic



7 comments:

  1. Jessica- Your story is an inspiration for me and thanks for sharing your experience. I am going to start studying for the Oct 2012 test soon. I had taken the December one last year, but felt that I could do so much better so I am trying again.

    To ask a question: After receiving your first LSAT score, how did you change your study habits? Did you decide to focus on specific sections and areas where you thought you needed improvement or did you follow the same pattern you used in studying for the first test?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I changed my study patterns after I took my first LSAT. For the first LSAT that I took I was focusing on ALL sections evenly. After I took the first LSAT I focused more on the Logic Games and the Arguments. I focused more on these two sections because I knew that my Logic Games needed to improve drastically if I was going to improve my score at all & I also put my focus on the Arguments because I knew that they consisted of 50% of the test.
      I improved on the Logic Game section just by repetition, doing them over and over again. Then I would read the complete explanation afterwards so that I would see where I was going wrong. After a while all Logic Games start to look the same.
      I also improved on the Arguments due to repetition. But I would also monitor my timing and figure out where I was wasting my time. Timing is also very important.
      Saying that (timing is also important), I want to advise you to focus on accuracy before timing. Doing so, will build your confidence while becoming familiar with the questions. Once you start becoming familiar with the questions, then start timing yourself gradually. By "gradually" I mean start by timing yourself on half of the questions and then when you master that do a complete section, timed.
      I hoped this helped :)

      Delete
  2. Inspiring story Jess. I didnt take my test seriously at all the first time and got a 133. Now i have been studying for months and it seems that my range is going to be a 148-155, no matter how much i study.. But an improvement of 20 points is way beyond what LSAC predicts in score improvements so I'm sure schools will take that into consideration.

    Not sure when you'll see this comment but I'm curious to know which schools you've applied to?

    MY GPA was a 3.02 and with over about a 152,153 (I'm hoping its even higher!!) I looking at schools like CUNY, Capital Law, Un. of DC, New England Law, Duquense and Quinnipiac.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess, I've read your story and it is truly inspiring. I am about to embark, yet again, on studying for my LSAT, and would love to take raise my score 20 points. I must ask have you gotten into any schools, if so which ones.

      Delete
  3. very inspirational, but remember things are only hard, if you think its hard. I always think with the positive end in mind. Thank you for sharing your story.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Honestly, reading about your incredible confidence, I have gained so much more hope than before! More power to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica you dedicated about 2 years for the LSAT. That's commendable. Congrats on the 20 point jump. Loosing is NOT an option. Just curious you got a 143 the first time what was Mike's first score since you mentioned he decided to retake the kaplan again with you...

    ReplyDelete