What do you wish you'd known before starting your LSAT prep?


LSAT Blog Known Before Starting LSAT Prep
I asked the following questions to some blog readers who recently took the LSAT:
What do you know now that you wish you'd known before starting your LSAT prep? What would you have done differently?
Here are their responses:

-I wish I had better understood when I began studying, that a higher score absolutely corresponds to more financial aid.

-The LSAT not only determines what schools will accept you but also how much scholarship money you will get. I would have invested more time and money into books and individual tutoring.

-You have to do 30+ practice tests to really start getting it (or at least I ended up doing that). 30 x 4 hours taking them x 4-5 hours reviewing them, is a lot of time. It's hard to prepare for what it's like till you do it, but just knowing that might've helped. Or scared me away from it. Who knows.

-My problem was I put too much pressure on myself. I constantly thought about scoring a 170. I could not concentrate especially when the test was timed.

-Definitely allow myself more time for studying.

-I started out taking a bunch of practice tests back to back without drilling the different types of questions first. I also was not digging deep enough in the explanations. This is why I had to retake and I wish I had someone tell me to avoid taking too many practice tests in the beginning stage!

-I studied too in-depth in the beginning and didn't have the amount of time for practice exams that I would have liked. If I could do it over, I would alter my pacing.

-Treat it more like a full time job and not underestimate it.

-Spending a ton of money on prep classes isn't necessary, the entire test is a game, if you understand how to play then you'll do well. Stress does not help! Sleep is also good.

-That working full-time, full-time school and 4 hours a day studying for the LSAT was pretty close to impossible.

***

If you've taken the LSAT before (or have been prepping for a while), how would you answer those questions?

(See previous survey responses.)

Leave your thoughts in the comments!


Photo by lwr



5 comments:

  1. Everybody says "Don't study too early or you'll get burnt out." I think that is garbage.

    I wish I had started studying at least a year ago or more. If I had gotten burnt out I could take a few months off and then start studying again. I have a couple buddys who got in the 170s but they had to study for a 10-12 months in order to do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adam you are correct. I am one of those people who has been studying for almost a year. This test is not a walk in the park.

      Delete
  2. I'm a retaker (scored horribly on my first try). I've been studying for 7 months now and will have studied for 12 months by the time I go for the Dec 2012 test.

    I work full-time and can only study after work and on weekends. So yes, TIME and 100% FOCUS when studying is the key!!! Don't procrastinate, don't get discouraged (I mean get back up when you do...no one doesn't ever feel discouraged while studying), DON'T GIVE UP :) [saying these to myself too].

    Also, HIT THE GYM as often as you can!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello this is Hari from Chennai, India. I am having to go to another Indian city - Bangalore - for my LSAT on June 24 2012. Could you tell me if the duration of the LSAT is 7 hours or three and a half hours? This will help me come back to work to Chennai on a timely manner. Awaiting your response. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dude, no offense but you should know this if you've been studying. It's 5 total multiple choice sections, 35 minutes each, and a 35 minute writing section. Add in an extra 30 minutes for all the check-in and break. So around 4.5-5 hours.

      Delete