LSAT Diary: Dealing with Distractions



LSAT Blog LSAT Diary Dealing with Distractions
This LSAT Diary comes from a blog reader who's taking the October 2012 LSAT. It's about dealing with distractions and obstacles.

Enjoy, and if you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)

Leave our LSAT diarist some encouragement below in the comments!

***

I am now in a foreign land of LSAT where symbols, phrases, and communication styles are all different and the only communication binding me to the world I know is the text preview that blinks on my screen, “where r u?!”. I am struggling to acclimate but I am learning to speak the local LSAT language just not quite enough to feel confident in these foreign surroundings. Family and friends are learning the bitter chill of screened calls and ignored text messages and I am finding it difficult to re-prioritize responsibilities I’ve been connected to for longer than this LSAT adventure, I’m only a few weeks in and already, I’m behind in my schedule.

I haven't been as diligent about ignoring all superfluous calls and texts; I wouldn't be behind schedule I was. It's going to take time for everyone, including myself, to learn that LSAT is the new priority and everything that used to be considered a top priority has fallen down a few pegs. I've been bargaining and negotiating with myself to allow for activities that I was just not ready to cut out.

Here's one 24-hour period as an example:

After a full day at work, I find out that the company softball team was going to have to forfeit the week's game if they didn't get one more female in the line-up and I'm the only one who doesn't have a "good reason" not to be there; I receive several drop-ins in my cube, texts, and e-mails of encouragement/guilt to show up.

Ok-fine (I went) I signed up and said they could count on me back in March and they don't know that I plan to take the LSAT in October and that I hope to be gone in 18 months for law school, I still need to work during that time. I figure, I can always study after the game right?

But oh wait, now there's dinner to make, and maybe just a few minutes of down time to relax, and just a quick catch up on personal e-mails while everything cooks, I eat dinner and - what-the-what; how is it 11:00?! Time management fail. Fine, if I go to bed now, I can wake up early and get some studying in before work, this means I move my workout from before work to my lunch hour or immediately after work. That is until I over sleep (thanks allergy medicine!) and there's an urgent project at work that requires my involvement so I have lunch delivered and end up staying for some overtime after.

Workout? Nope not happening if I want to eat and study, but now part of my down-time is being sacrificed which turns my book and head into magnets that can't resist each other so I am not really being productive and get only halfway into my scheduled items for review and give up and go to bed.

I've done it to myself, I know this. Softball? Not important. Lunch hour? I need to take it for my own sanity. Workout? Yes, must keep the workout, non-negotiable. Studying? DUH! Why even go through any of this if I keep allowing it to get pushed aside. So I've reassessed my studying after reading through some work/life balance articles and I'm operating like clockwork (for now).

I've scheduled some hours to allow for spontaneity, actually, almost every hour of my day is scheduled and while I'm not really happy about it a few months of structure may not kill me. I've quit softball (not an easy conversation). I started using extra time on weekends to pre-cook several meals so that I'm essentially eating leftovers all week long. Again, not thrilled with all the changes but c’est la vie (for now).

I was a bit naive in my pre-planning; I thought I could just dive into studying and everything would remain the same with just this one new thing added in. I've realized that it is impossible to have the life you recognize when you add or remove even one element.

Some of the studying/scheduling issues I've been having may have been due to a bit of fear or frustration at not fully understanding or setting up all the steps in advanced linear and in/out grouping games. I still struggle to draw out every possible not law or sometimes fail to produce the most efficient diagram associated with the rules given before starting the questions. I recognize the inferences in my head but forget to write them down and by the time I start the questions those inferences are muddied and lost.

I can force myself to work through those muddled inferences and am averaging maybe one or two missed questions in each game. However, the struggle to get there is constant and inefficient so I tend to write off any successes. I have a Type-A drive to be right and I definitely wasn't getting everything right from the start so I pushed back by avoiding the assignments.

Against my will power (rather than any sound advice), I learned that if I take a quick cat nap after studying a bit, I come to the practice questions with greater clarity and ability to stretch my brain to reach for those inference connections, so there is definitely some hope. I'm keeping my chin up and trying not to be too hard on myself, I'm not that far into my LSAT study plan and every day I come back to my assignments I do better each time.

I'm at the start of my journey here so I’ll remain cautiously optimistic that over time the scheduling, training friends and family to provide patience, and improved efficiency in my games approach will naturally solve themselves over time.

Current Struggle:
- Not having a school, library, or quiet area available after 7:00 p.m. to study in is putting a strain on one-bedroom apartment life.

Current Pride:
- 100% correct in PT 36 Game 3 Page 280 of Next 10!

Photo by Paul Watson



5 comments:

  1. I currently have the same distraction with my one-bedroom apartment, but I think that it is a part of the overall struggle. I keep telling myself that it will just help me on the actual test day if for some reason I have extreme distractions like a dog that won't stop barking. But, I guess I should look for somewhere a little less obnoxious. Good luck, and thanks for the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This makes me feel better about my current situation too! Working/studying is difficult too, you don't have any less free time than say a student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm right where you are, but am working part time, taking a full load of classes (15 hours) and am trying to maintain my other EC duties as co-chair and student liaison and a retreat. It's been hectic, but I keep improving as I keep moving forward, and am hoping all of this time, effort and dedication is worth it in the end. Good luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot think of a curse in any language that I know which can adequately express my hatred towards Logic Games. Best of luck to you in October.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have not been great about it. Always going to "hit it hard" next week or nest weekend. Well now I have less than two weeks to cram. Wonderful. I did about 2 months of consistent study awhile ago though, so at least I am not starting from nothing.

    ReplyDelete