June 2013 LSAT Update | LSAT Diary | Non-Traditional Student

LSAT Blog June 2013 LSAT Update LSAT Diary
This LSAT Diary is from Bob, who just took the June 2013 LSAT. (See his previous LSAT diary.) This diary is excerpted from an email that Bob wrote to me.

If you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)

Leave Bob some encouragement and share your thoughts below in the comments!


Bob's LSAT Diary:

As planned, this Non-Traditional Student took the LSAT yesterday. Thank you, Steve, for your guidance and support in helping me address the toughest test I’ve ever taken in my 62 years. Your rules helped me simplify Logic Games in a way I never could have learned on my own (and which LSAC never teaches). Whatever my final score, I can credit your materials for my achieving perhaps 5-10 extra points above that which I otherwise would have earned.

How’d I do?  You’ve advised us never to predict performance before scores are issued, so I won’t.  There’s simply too much adrenaline washing around the test room to render an honest evaluation.  My only hope is that I tested within the range of my five most recent PrepTests. That’s all that I should expect.  It’s a number I could live with.  Should I come up short, there’s always next February. I’ll keep you posted.

My most vivid memory of yesterday involves not myself or my test, but another man.  I’ll probably never know his name, so I’ll call him “Joe.” Joe was a gray-haired older fellow, perhaps nearly my age.  Appearing nervous, he entered the test room just before the 12:30 deadline, took his seat, and became my room’s 14th test-taker.  “Great,” I thought to myself. “At least there’s another brave soul here representing my generation.”  The test started. I focused on the questions.  At some point, I heard the door slam.  After Section 2, I looked up.  Joe was gone.

I’ll never know for sure what happened.  Joe may have been ill-prepared.  He may have collapsed under pressure. Or perhaps he simply was clueless as to the LSAT’s true difficulty.  However disappointed I may become when my number is released next month, I must remind myself that Joe’s disappointment is greater. Without question, he canceled his score.

The LSAC administered nearly 25,000 exams yesterday. No doubt, there were many Joe’s (and Josephine’s), young and old, in homes and bars last night drowning their sorrows, their hopes for a law career dashed.  Feel for them.  And yes, pray for them.  For some, intensified study will eventually bring a brighter day.  For others, it will not.  That’s life.  As we speculate as to whether we scored high enough to earn acceptance to that top-tier law school, let’s never forget Joe, the one the LSAT left behind.

Photo by bobaubuchon



7 comments:

  1. Sad, but true. For some of us, the challenge remains the fear surrounding the test. For some of us, it means more than just a test to get into law school. It represents a dream. I planned to take the June test, but decided not to due to the fear. I regret this, but also realize there are other administrations as well. I will gain some clarity, courage and take it in the future.

    But thank you for reminding us of this. And congratulations on your success!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was surrounded by 20-somethings, despite my rather mature station in life (ahem).
    Two of my fellow test takers decided to cancel their scores. What a colossal waste of time and money! I felt badly for them. Another person asked to have the rules for score cancellation in the upcoming days spelled out for her.
    I found the Logic games more challenging in that there were multiple variables in 2 of the 4 games. The other portions seemed easier than I was expecting.
    July 5 will be here soon enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Let's called it "experienced". :) As a 20-something, I really do admire the courage and fortitude of the more experienced test takers. Yeah I have work, and it was sometimes sad to study during my precious free time off work, but I don't have kids to worry about, or I don't have couple of decades of life calling back behind me telling me you don't have to go through all this and stay where you were...
    I have to agree with you, Steve your blog was what guided me through the fearful LSAT preparation. You really laid out the essential principles for each section and I am happy that I trusted them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hats off to you Bob and all you other "experienced" June test takers! Even at my relatively "unripened", child-free age of 30, I can assure you that the prep regimen for this exam would've been a much easier task at 20. I hope y'all are very happy with your scores, you definitely deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bob: Your "I survived the test, Joe didn't" post is a pretentious, thinly-veiled pat on the back. Get over yourself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Believe what you choose. But please reread my letter. I fear you've missed the point. First, my primary objective was to commend Steve's tutorial brilliance. Presumably anyone who fails to appreciate our teacher's talent and insight would not be blogging here.
      With all due respect, I don't need to "get over myself." My intent was never to elevate myself above "Joe" or "Josephine", and I regret you inferred that impression. At another test on another day, "Joe" could've been me...or you. Even those who've earned a "perfect 180" respect the toughness of the exam I just took. Sadly, even despite substantial study, a misapplied LSAT can destroy professional dreams in an instant. For those to whom the LSAT has become their worst nightmare, remember that though it's an important test, it's only a test. Tests can be retaken. Academic plans can be postponed. In the final analysis, life is more important than law school.

      Delete
  6. Bob, thank you for sharing you experience and wisdom. We have to look fear in the face and call it a liar. Thank you for the beautiful reminder that we can realize and pursue our dreams at any age and at any point in life.

    ReplyDelete