how to prepare for the worst on LSAT test day

My student Max went from 155 diagnostic to 176 on the real thing...

And 176 was the highest score he ever got on practice a test.

So part of it's just that he got lucky.

But the bigger surprise?

He didn't DROP below his PT score average like most test-takers do.



Let me show you just one of many examples of the dreaded Test Day Drop:
LSAT Test Day Drop


That story gives me chills. Imagine if you had a nightmarish Test Day scenario like that one, and then dropped more than 15 points from your average!

We have to make sure to avoid that kind of experience (and result!) at all costs.


So let's work to figure this out -  why did things turn out so much better for my student Max?

Well, he invested a tremendous amount of time and energy into his studying, unlike James from before.

And do you want to know one of the biggest factors that led to his success?

Simulating Test Day and Keeping Strict Time Limits!
Taking your PrepTests under strict test-day-like conditions makes it more likely that your PT scores will reflect your actual score on test day. That's taking your LSAT study to the next level.

Because things can, and sometimes do, go wrong. Unwanted factors like bad proctors (or distracting fellow test-takers) can lead to score drops. Or you could have a bad desk....or be crammed like sardines next to other test-takers.

Want more on this? I show you how to simulate Test Day conditions and avoid score drops in my LSAT courses.

In case you're still skeptical about Test Day horror stories, here's some PROOF:

Check out these test-takers in India taking the LSAT on a TEENY-TINY desk they have to share...

These desks are so small that the two girls in the middle have to balance the test booklet on clipboards. Awkward....


LSAT India Test Center
Girl on the far right might be cheating off the one in blue, but that could just be my imagination.


There's no guarantee that taking the LSAT outside of India means your test center will be any better. 

Generally speaking, some have huge private desks, others have long shared ones like what you see above (but they typically insert empty seats in-between to prevent cheating....and claustrophobia).


Like most things in life, some are good, some are bad.

I try to go by that old saying, "Hope for the best, prepare for the worst." And I tend to be more cautious than the average person.



In future articles, I'll get more into preparing for worst-case scenarios in case you get a test center like the one in that photo, but first, here are some strategies from my LSAT courses.


Things that often lead to score drops:

* burnout

* being tired / sleep issues
* stress


Things you can do to achieve your FULLEST potential on Test Day:
* get enough sleep
* eat well
* get moderate exercise
* DE-stress / relax (some kind of mindfulness / meditation, or even just spending time in nature can help)



This stuff REALLY makes a difference. It's also the best way to reduce test anxiety and improve confidence.

As you can see, there's clearly a lot more to acing the LSAT aside from basic understanding of LSAT concepts.


If you'd like my best material on this, join my LSAT course.


Next time, I'll share how I've helped a few students overcome test day stress and anxiety to achieve MASSIVE score increases (I'm talking 10-15 points or more).

Talk soon,
Steve


P.S. Is there anything in particular giving you trouble right now? Lemme know, and I'll try to cover it in a future article. Just reach out :)


Even though I had the worst week ever leading up to the test, I still felt confident because I knew exactly what to expect when I walked into the testing center...from being prepared for the extra strain of the experimental section to not wearing a hoodie into the test...Wish the guy hyperventilating next to me in Section 3 had the same 'LSAT Blog' chill pill I did.”- Allison A., 158 to 171





No comments:

Post a Comment