LSAT Diary: Deciding Whether To Go To Law School

LSAT Blog Decide Go Law School
If you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)

Please comment and give Jeysa some advice as she decides between pursuing a PhD in Clinical Psych and a JD.

Jeysa's LSAT Diary:

Unlike my initial LSAT Diary, I intend to include a bit about how I am holding up as far as the study process, but I also want to pose some “deep thinking questions” (as they say) and hopefully get some feedback!

As I prepared for the LSAT, as many of you, every single section improved – BUT logic games. With this, I knew it was high time to buckle down. The great combination of LSAT Blog posts, tireless studying, and practice, (and actually further reading for fun helped to boost stamina and a new way of thinking as well), my logic games performance went from -20 (2o wrong), to -18, to -14, to -11. Hopefully it continues to progress, in turn, as well. On another note, I think that this downward slope will make a lovely graph. I am thinking of plotting it as we speak.

I can honestly say that I am pretty confident regarding logical reasoning sections (gives herself a pat on the back). However, I find myself having to keep myself from dozing off with boredom at times, for the section involving reading comprehension. (It can be so long!) I have found that taking multiple heavy reading sections at once to increase endurance is truly the key this relatively early in the game.

Over the past few weeks, and as the fall semester came to a close, I spent a lot of time thinking about my decision to go into law. I feel that far too many people embark on law school “just because they are not sure what else to do.” I have been debating between a PhD in Clinical Psych and a JD, of course. I'm questioning my ability to succeed and put in the hard work once I take the LSAT’s and enter law school. I know that I have an immensely strong work ethic, but what precisely will allow me to stand out in the crowd? Luck?

I only wish that everyone in my personal life was as strongly motivated. Their law-chasing-dreams seem impulsive and not well thought out. I would love to hear feedback on why you chose the legal field, and why you think you will be able to stand out, and succeed. What makes a good lawyer? These are the questions I am asking myself.

Photo by archeon



2 comments:

  1. Nice diary, Jeysa!

    Glad to see your persistence in games is paying off! I made a graph of all my scores, including individual sections and practice tests. It was for fun- mostly- but I ended up having more asterisks than the future baseball hall of fame.
    *okay, well this test I had an emergency halfway through and finished hours later
    *well, THIS test I was really, really hungover
    *This test? Yeah, I think I gave myself an extra 5 minutes on accident
    etc.

    I won't try and touch the "why law school" part of your question, but might have something to offer on standing out.

    In any career or activity, skill in what you're doing is important. That's the easy and fixable part. However, it's also key to examine the soft skills: relating to people, comfort with strangers, making friends, being supportive and honest, etc. Sounds pretty hippy-ish I know, but I've found that humor, integrity, and honesty will get you a lot farther than skill or prestige.

    In the end everything we do relates to other people, and other people have a measurable impact on our lives whether we like it or not.

    So if you think you can work with people, help people, and serve people as a lawyer- do it! If clinical psych would be a better fit for you, try that. Some of my greatest heroes are clinical or counseling psychs.

    Did you take the December test? If you haven't taken it yet- good luck! And stick with Steve's studying, he's got the right idea.

    And keep plugging away at games; it's the only way to really get better. I started out working towards 100% accuracy with as much time as I needed, and only tried to cut my time down. I think putting time pressure on yourself before you're really a master is hard. I went from taking 20-25 minutes per game to sometimes 5-6 minutes- with great accuracy.

    In fact, I got through the December games section only missing 2! One stupid mistake when I missed an ACCEPTABILITY question (idiot) and one wrong answer on the dreaded stained glass window game.

    Thanks for writing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Caleb, thank you so much for your great advice and early humorous describing of the asterisks : ) I think graphing our progress is the way to go. Even if no one sees it, it will sure motivate and make us feel better about ourselves either way!

    I did not take the December LSAT because I actually have some time left. (Just a sophomore; one of those obnoxious people who always works ahead and plans out her life goals early).

    ReplyDelete