LSAT Diary: Retaking the LSAT

LSAT Blog LSAT Diary Retaking The LSATThis installment of LSAT Diaries comes from Sarah, who took the December 2011 LSAT and is currently waiting for her score.

She's got some great LSAT advice for you about she prepared the second time around.

If you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)

Thanks to Sarah for sharing her experience and advice, and please leave your questions for her below in the comments!

Sarah's LSAT Diary:

Before I took the LSAT the first time, in October 2011, I was scared out of my mind.

I'm usually a very good test taker: my first time taking a practice LSAT I scored a 163. I set up what I thought was a good schedule, bought the necessary books, and settled in for a solid 2-month study period.

What I noticed as the two months went by really threw me: I was doing worse and worse on Logical Reasoning. I started out with around a -2 or -3 on the section. This, I thought, was very good, but since it wasn't perfect I got out my handy books and looked through them for any tips or tricks I might use to narrow my margin of error. I went through the questions in the book, worked on the LSAT PrepTests, and looked over my mistakes, making sure I understood where I went wrong. The whole time I kept making more and more errors. I went from a -3 to a -5, and at my worst I made 11 mistakes on a single section.

Finally, it was the day of the LSAT. I had done a PrepTest the day before, and scared myself silly because I scored a 159, not finishing the Reading Comprehension section and scoring a -9 on an LR section. I was completely frazzled when I walked in to the test room. When I finished, I was so relieved to have it done and behind me that I couldn't stop talking or smiling for at least an hour.

Three weeks later came the bad news: I scored a 158. This was the worst score I had ever gotten on an LSAT. After a ten minute crying jag and asking the cosmos “why me?”, I pulled myself together, signed up for the December sitting, and prepared to study for a re-take.

This time, I corrected exactly where I went wrong in my previous round of study. First, I did not take enough practice tests, or if I did, I took one section at a time. Second, when I did write a section of the test, I often did not time myself doing it. Third, I did not fill in a bubble sheet when I wrote practice tests. Lastly, I concentrated far too much on the questions in the book, which were NOT actual LSAT questions. This in particular, I think, is what made my score decrease progressively on the Logical Reasoning section.

Studying for the re-take in December consisted entirely of taking timed LSATs. I saw my score in Logical Reasoning, and the test itself, rise considerably. At one point I actually had a perfect LR section, and scored about a third of my tests in the 170's (my highest was a 173), which I never managed to do the first time around.

This time, I walked in to the test feeling nervous, but under control. I hadn't done a test the day before. I had drunk my weak hotel coffee, ate my homemade muffin, taped my picture to the LSAT ticket, and was ready to roll.

What I really want to stress with this whole experience is that re-taking the test is hard, but not the end of the world. If you did not score as well as you had hoped, try again. Try a different strategy, look for a person or a community to help you get through, look at where you went wrong the first time around.This time, you will know exactly what to expect.

Photo by bdorfman



5 comments:

  1. Doing the practice tests timed is very important. I made the same mistake of not timing myself while doing the preptests for my first LSAT. My actual score also ended up being worse then my diagnostic score. For the second LSAT, I did more timed practice tests.

    Before, I was only able to do 3 of 4 games under timed conditions. On test day, thanks to the practice I did, I was able to finish the AR section (twice- had 2 AR) for the first time.

    Here hoping for a massive improvement on the December test.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Sarah... I'll totally follow your advice!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was doing well on practice tests but the Dec LSAT was exceedingly challenging - I did the exact 3 things you mentioned: Not timing my tests, not using the answer sheet and doing sections only instead of the entire test. Thank you for your encouragement and pointing out the same errors I plan to reverse for the Feb retake as i sit waiting for my scores

    ReplyDelete
  4. ^Suggestion:

    *If you plan on giving away your preptests, you are borrowing the preptests from someone else and thus you can not use the answer sheets, or you don't want to or can't use the answer sheets for whatever reason-*

    You can try writing out the answer choices on a seperate piece of paper as you do a practice test. For example, write the letter "A" (or B, C, D, or E) instead of just circling choice "A" under the question. For some people, the time it takes to write out a letter is about same as bubbling in the answer choice.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a question Sarah. You say your first ever LSAT u got a 163. Can you explain how? How did you do on the games section of it was your first ever LSAT. I'm so surprised when I hear people score 160 on their first try. Any advice? Thanks and good luck!

    ReplyDelete