how to improve when you don't know what you don't know

Here's the sort of email I typically get a week or two before the LSAT:

I'm still having difficulty with a few types of questions on the Logical Reasoning section, particularly following conditional chains. These chains are my weakest area and I keep getting them wrong. I've gone through all the official LSAT PrepTest books. I'm still trying to get my score up because I've been stuck with the same score (160s range). Do you have any advice? Do you think coaching could help me improve before the exam? I would really appreciate your help.

I typically get booked up in the final months before test day. And if you're seriously willing to invest the time and effort, and you've already come this far, why leave it to the last minute?

So, while he should've come to me MUCH sooner, he's still in pretty good shape because he already knows where he needs to improve. It's great when students have a specific idea of exactly what's giving them trouble, and we can go over it in detail.

But, this sort of thing isn't what I want to focus on today. 

You know what really drives me crazy?

Most students are walking around with MAJOR misconceptions about question-types and inefficient approaches I have to step in and correct.
And I'm talking about things as basic as introducing them to the difference between necessary and sufficient assumption questions!

Ideally, you'd already know about that difference months before your test date, not days.


The biggest problem students face right before the LSAT....

is they don't know what they don't know!

Students come to me struggling, scoring lower than they should be, and they DON'T KNOW WHY!

But after chatting with them for even just a few minutes, I can spot 5 different ways to help them improve, and sometimes, we can do it all in a single coaching session!

So take a few minutes to make sure you fully understand these topics:


[LR] Difference between Necessary and Sufficient Assumptions
[LG] Making Conditional Chains (with an example!) 

[RC] How to take notes (and how NOT to take them)

How to Review (sent you advice on that about a few weeks ago, I think)


It’s amazing what clearing up a single misconception or finding a more efficient approach can do. It can significantly increase your scores.

For example, take Caroline from last time. She's the one who struggled with stress and anxiety but got a PERFECT score on Logic Games:

I met with Steve and his advice was invaluable. He made something I had struggled with for so long look so easy. He showed me a completely different way of approaching games that would have taken me 10 minutes or more and taught me shortcuts that cut that time in half. Steve’s help with logic games combined with my determination to remain calm and collected about the test had me scoring an average of 173-174 leading up to test day.

So, if you're struggling (especially if you don't even know why), don't be afraid to ask for help. Reach out and we can explore the possibility of working together one-on-one.

Because even with all the courses, books, and other resources, the fastest way to get the score you need is by working directly with an expert who's already been through the process.

So, if you feel like LSAT coaching might help with your situation, let me know, and we'll talk.

And your life will transform.
-LSAT Steve


P.S. If you’re struggling with LSAT stress, I know how it feels. I’ve been there.

Next time, I’m going to share some resources I personally use to help me calm down and stay grounded when things get overwhelming.

More coming your way soon.




No comments:

Post a Comment