LSAT Diaries: 20-Something College Student

LSAT Diary BlogThis installment of LSAT Diaries comes from "Bob" in Washington, D.C. "Bob" is a female college student who wishes to remain anonymous.

I'm including "Bob's" LSAT Diary below, followed by a few quick comments. My blog post on the Best LSAT Prep Books reviews all the books she mentions.

If you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)

Leave "Bob" some encouragement below in the comments or on her blog!

May 19, 2009 - SOME LIQ PROVIDED BUT BYOB
1PM: Today is my official first day of my nineteen weeks of studying. Since its summer, I don't wake up as early as I am supposed to, and go to the kitchen with my LSAT books. I began to cook my eggs and toast when a heard my iPhone chime "doodoodoup" it said, I glanced over and I received a text:
"FWD: ABC Presents*: A Shindig, come celebrate James Millers Bday TONIGHT @ 10 PM @ Something Something Something G ST. Some liq provided but BYOB"
The dying question that is going through my mind is do I study or party? This has never been an issue for me in college but it's summertime, c'mon MAN.

*Names and places have been changed to protect the innocence from my 19-week insanity plea
5PM: I've decided that Harvard Law sounds better than "got-drunk-at-an-org-party and-had-to-wait-till-12PM-to-drive-back-home" As sad as that sounds. I am setting up my study space now; I drove to the convenience store and purchased fruit snacks, lemonade, ginger ale, chips, lemon-heads and some carrots. I am sure people would say that my junk food isn't brain food, but my brain is pretty active when I am chewing. (I really don't know what that's about.) Anyway, I am sitting down now in my newly-separated parents' living room, which is devoid of all furniture, when I get another text from my best-friend K, a socialite at my university:
"Are you coming?" "Nah, I am studying" "Studying? Its summertime!" "I know (sad face with tears streaming down) "Well, have fun I guess" "Oh I will logic games are so interesting!"
I can hear her laughing from the other side of the electronic texting device, I am sure she is telling friends how big of a dork her best-friend is. But really they are!


May 20, 2009 - CRABS, SUN and LOGIC GAMES

6PM: I started my LSAT studying again. Whew... I understand Bi-Conditionals and Conditionals because of Logic in college, but I am still wrapping my head around the games. I am going to continue doing that. It should NOT be impossible to learn. I went back to the beginning and started reading from page one. It's 6:00 now and I have to keep encouraging myself to make it through this section.

7PM: I live in Maryland and we're a BIG crab state. It's around 80 degrees outside. My dad, who is mysteriously moving back into our house (I feel like it's invading my privacy, you left homie!), purchased crabs. Yummy! I am going to sit out side for a bit and then come back in. My plan is 2-4 hours a-day for studying. 19 weeks whew!


May 21, 2009 - MY NEW BOYFRIEND (S)

I have a new boyfriend, well several; I am a player of hearts. What are their names you ask? Well one is Logic Games, he's the smart one with the thick glasses, the other is Logical Reasoning, I just call him LR, he's the sexy one, that I understand, and he understands me. Super Prep is the one I haven't taken a crack at yet. He’ll come around. Then my triplets: 10 Actual LSATs, 10 More, and the Next 10. They're sitting around on the rebound; I’ll start talking to them in a couple weeks. I have a mail order boyfriend coming soon his name is Reading Comp. I am not sure if I am going to use him yet. I may just keep him for a rainy day. Aside from my obvious boredom today wasn't very productive.

1PM: Had a job interview today with a Governmental Agency (what does Jeezy call them, the Alphabet Boys?) except she was a lady, a alphabet lady, anyway she was a Senior Trial attorney, and her cases had inspired movies, she was great! When I told her I was studying for the LSAT, she smiled and shook her head. "I know how that is," she said, reminiscent of her obvious LSAT studying.

7PM: Didn’t get any studying done, I brought my books with me, but I didn't get anything accomplished today.


FRIDAY May 22, 2009 - COOKOUTS, SUN, & LG

4PM: Woke up, and first thing I do is grab some LG, and I revised my LSAT schedule:

Remainder of May - Logic Games
  1. Read Steve's Logic Games posts
  2. Do problems that resemble actual LSAT problems
  3. Keep doing problems over and over again until they are right and I understand how I got them right or why my answer was wrong
June - Logic Games
  1. Logic Games
  2. Continue LG
  3. Start working on LR - Read LR posts in their entirety
  4. Re-read for summary of points etc.
  5. Do at least 10 problems a day
  6. Find out what I did right, why it was right, and what I did wrong and why.
July – Reading Comprehension & Logical Reasoning
  1. Skim through the Reading Comprehension posts
  2. Read the Economist, and Historical monographs
  3. Reading and doing Reading Comprehension questions
  4. Practice Exams
August & September - Practice Exams
  1. PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE
  2. Taking AT LEAST 5 practice tests a week and going over my answers until the actual test
  3. I don’t plan on being THERE for school and work until AFTER the LSAT is done so, I am going to be focusing on that instead of school.

DAY-to-DAY / STUDY NOTES
  • Since it's Summer and I am not doing anything until the end of August, when school starts, I am focusing on the LSAT so, I plan on studying at least 3-4 hours a day
  • I plan on taking at least 30 practice tests this study session. I really need a 170 or higher.
  • 2:41 AM - Is it wrong to be at your BFF's rooftop party, at a high-rise apartment overlooking the beautiful city to be chatting it up with friends about the LSAT? I think so. I was going to pick up my book but I am going to go to sleep and start fresh in the morning.

  • SATURDAY May 23, 2009 - NOT PRODUCTIVE
  • I haven't been as productive as I need to be, i may have to revise my schedule. I am not sure why i haven't been productive but i haven't. Sigh...I wrote my Diversity Statement today, that's as far as I've gotten. I really need to pick up my books. A couple of my friends who have taken the LSAT and scored high have told me about the journey of studying during the summer time. Its time for me to cut it all out.

  • SUNDAY May 24, 2009 - MOJITO AND A GAME
  • 8PM - Today was K's twenty-first birthday, went out to a cute little spot had a drink and did some Logic Games. I feel bad, but it was cool had a little drink and studied a little bit. I thought I was productive, but I am still on Linear Games. I think this upcoming week starting Wednesday I am going to spend more than a little time on it.
  • 12 AM - URGG!!! I need to study!

  • TUESDAY May 26, 2009 BREAK
  • Didn't update yesterday, it was Memorial Day. I think i am going to take a break because i feel like I should be studying every morning I wake up. Which i feel is true but instead I feel pressured. I am disgusted with myself, I am going to have to apply myself and I need help doing so. I am going to start making a daily schedule for myself. Attempting to study 4 hours a day. I need to catch up on the time i missed. I am going to start doing it like this:

  • 12PM - Wake Up
  • 1230PM - Lunch/Breakfast/Food of some sort.
  • 1PM - Study
  • 2:30PM- Study Break
  • 3PM - Study again
  • 4PM - Stop studying and free time
  • 5PM - 12PM (the next day) FREE TIME
***

Steve's comments:

You've got plenty of time to prepare, "Bob."

This means that you don't have to give up all partying and socializing this summer in order to study. I like your proposed daily schedule - you're very lucky to have several hours in the middle of the day to study. Many students have to fit in their studying around a work schedule. Instead, you can treat studying like your job and socialize in the evening.

As long as your partying/socializing doesn't negatively impact your studying, it's fine. Just make sure that the 3-4 hours/day you study are productive. Disconnect yourself from email/IM/phone during this time so that you won't be interrupted.

Good luck!

Photo by photosan0



No comments:

Post a Comment