LSAT Diaries: Retaking The LSAT

LSAT Blog LSAT Diaries Retaking LSATThis installment of LSAT Diaries comes from Rosemary, a 28-year-old receptionist in Washington, D.C. She has some great advice below on getting started with your LSAT prep.

If you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)

Leave Rosemary some encouragement below in the comments!


Rosemary's LSAT Diary:

I have a confession to make...I'm a test retaker. Yep, that's right. Once wasn't enough, so I'm studying for the LSAT again. Sure, I’m not happy to be in this position, but this time around I have a better idea of what I’m getting into and the time commitment that studying for the LSAT entails.

So what went wrong? Honestly, I was naive about the time commitment needed to prepare for the test. I took an LSAT prep course and attended all the class sessions, but I didn’t do the homework outside of class. After 15 weeks, my test scores barely budged.

I don’t like the position that I’m in, but my previous experience has made me more determined to take the time to prepare so that I can retake this test and move on with my life.

This time around, I know that I need to be better prepared from the beginning and the first step is developing a study schedule that fits my life. I’m currently finishing my Bachelor's, taking 2 evening classes while working full time. Since this week I needed to focus on midterms, I decided to get some of the housekeeping out of the way, so I can get off to a good start the first week.

1. Make a study schedule.

I’m using Steve’s 4-month LSAT study plan as a template and making adjustments as needed. I’m using a calendar I can access from my phone and home in order to keep track of the assignments I have each week. Because I still have schoolwork, having a master calendar allows me to balance my LSAT study schedule with upcoming papers and exams.


2. Define a study space.

Everything I’ve heard about studying for the LSAT says that it’s best to study in an atmosphere as close to your actual testing experience as possible. I know from past experience that my test site conducts the tests in large lecture halls with tables. I dug out my LSAT prep books and set up my dining room as my LSAT zone.


3. Register for the LSAT.

There are only two locations in my area that administer the test and if both of those locations fill up the next closest test site is 200 miles away. So because I like to always be on the safe side I took five minutes out of my day to register and pay to take the LSAT at the same testing site that I took the test at last year.

Photo by bdorfman



No comments:

Post a Comment