From Average LSAT Scores to High LSAT Scores | 7 Tips


LSAT Blog Average LSAT Scores High LSAT Scores Tips
In this LSAT Diaries compilation, I picked 7 tips from blog readers who started off with average LSAT scores but, after a great deal of work, ended up with high LSAT scores.

On the journey to achieving these significant score improvements, they learned valuable lessons and, ultimately, shared their great advice in LSAT Diaries.

Enjoy, and if you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)

7 Tips:

1. "In order to improve my score the second time, re-shaping my approach to the LSAT was fundamental. I am referring to a Blitzkrieg, “three-pronged” battle plan: strategy, psychology and physiology. Mentally, prepare yourself with new tools to ace the LSAT; psychologically, understand the hard work the next few months will require; and physiologically, complement your studying with healthy eating and exercise. Attain a “can-do” attitude and prepare to attack each aforementioned category in order to attain success." - Michael, improved from 148 to 163 on retake (LSAT Diaries)


2. "[A]s I moved on to study one section of the LSAT, I never left behind another. That is, when I finally began studying LR questions, I continued to include a reading passage and a game or two each day. I felt that this was important as I remained familiar with the other sections and kept on top of my game." - Dan, improved from 141 to 168 (LSAT Diaries)


3. "It may be cliché in the world of LSAT prep, but if you can’t hunker down for one test, how will you hit the top of your class in a great law school? Start your self-discipline and work-ethic for your dream of being a lawyer with the LSAT—it will pay dividends, and save you a grand. Don’t get me wrong, advice and individual tutoring has a place in everyone’s prep routine, but those exorbitantly priced prep courses, to me, seem unnecessary." - Brandon, improved from 150 to 170 (LSAT Diaries)


4. "[S]ome weekends I would study ten hours straight with just a few meal breaks in-between. It was not an easy schedule, but I knew I needed to be extremely focused and disciplined if I wanted a shot at law school in the fall." - Chrissie, improved from 149 to 165 (LSAT Diaries)


5. "One of the biggest mistakes I made the first time around was focusing far too much on formal logic. If I have one piece of concrete advice for someone taking the LSAT, it would be not to focus too much on this. Sure, the contrapositive is important and useful, but this only scratches the surface of all the things you could get tangled up in...just make sure you get the general idea and don’t worry about the details." - Anne, improved from 150 to 159 to 164 on LSAT retake (LSAT Diaries)


6. "Work with a small desk: I mainly studied on a small, cheap IKEA desk in my room. It was flimsy, bothersome, and pretty similar to my test center conditions. Because I was used to tiny desks normally, I didn’t have to fiddle around like the other test takers around me to adjust on test day." - Andy, improved from 154 to 169 on LSAT retake (LSAT Diaries)


7. "[Y]ou get out of the LSAT what you put into it. Diligence and a high level of commitment are the keys to success on the LSAT. Steve advised me to look at ALL of the logical reasoning questions I’d gotten wrong and to analyze the ‘why’ behind each wrong/right answer choice. I did this for every wrong answer I’d gotten in the logical reasoning section, looking for patterns, and identifying areas of weakness...My scores skyrocketed up to the high 160s and into the hallowed realm of the coveted 170+ after this conversation." - Jared, improved from 140ish to 164 (LSAT Diaries)


Photo by lwr



3 comments:

  1. Steve,

    Love the tips/tricks blog posts. Always an enjoyable read during downtime.

    On another note, I have a question that’s been nagging me and I’d like your input. Didn’t think emailing you would have been appropriate as I see you’ve set that up for prospective students.
    Anyway, the question regards logic games and the system of attack you feel is optimal – grids vs. main diagram and doing the work beside each question. I have been using the latter method but my study partner, who averages -0 on logic games, swears by the grid system. Says everything is compact, efficient, can use previous work…etc.
    Being a follower of your blog I would guess that you’d advise against grids. I’m wondering why.

    Thanks,
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steve,

    Curious to know how many times can one take the LSAT without hurting chance for admission into a solid program?

    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love tip #6. When I studied for my LSAT I used a massive desk, and sound canceling headphones. When I got to the test center I had a tiny, crooked desk and 3 proctors for only 9 test takers. At every point in the exam, I had one person walking by me, often one on each side. It was highly distracting and no matter how quiet they tried to be, walking makes noise. Whenever someone asks me for advice on LSAT prep, those are the two things I mention, because most courses or books don't mention them.

    ReplyDelete