LSAT Self-Limiting Beliefs


"What technique have you found most useful to overcome self-limiting beliefs?" I have a lot of self-limiting beliefs, believe it or not. But I think we all do.

I've certainly created a lot of stuff, but I was actually a little nervous to do my first live online LSAT prep Q&A. I'd wanted to do something like this for quite a while before I actually did.

And you could say "that's stupid, why wouldn't you? It's easy. It's free. You've got people here who want to hear what you have to say. And you know your stuff."

But here's the thing. I'm not the most tech-savvy person. I've always been more on the humanities side of things, that's part of why I got into pre-law / LSAT-related stuff. 

But it seems scary to try something new like that, in part because it's a new tech thing and in part because it's live. And I was talking with my coach about this.

You see, I have a coach and find it enormously helpful - he helps me see when I have blinders on and point out errors in my thinking that I couldn't spot for myself.

I discovered my self-limiting belief about doing live Q&As was that I was afraid it wouldn't go perfectly, and if it didn't go perfectly, then it would automatically have gone terribly - and it would be on record out there in the world for everybody to see.

Then I realized that it doesn't need to be perfect. The things I've created so far, they're great. They're useful. I would even go as far to say as it's pretty amazing, the resources I’ve created. I I just don't say that to toot my own horn, but because I really have seen the results that my students get. You can go read them in the LSAT Diaries. I probably don't pay enough attention to those myself because I just move onto the next thing, and I'm focused on helping the next student, not the one who's already gotten the score increase. 

But people find my stuff helpful. And so, I realized that even if my live online Q&As might not be perfect, they'd still be helpful and that would be good enough.

And if the first one didn't go well, there's always the next one. And I think that holds true for the LSAT also. So my self-limiting belief, and it might be yours too, is worrying too much about what if things on the big day don't go as well as I want them to?

Of course, we want it to be perfect. What if it just goes good or okay? Turns out there's always the next one.

Just like there's always a chance for me to do another live Q&A, there's always the chance for you to take another LSAT exam. To retake. 

So my request for you is, take this upcoming LSAT like it's not the real thing. Like it's not the end-all-be-all. Obviously it matters. You’ve put a lot of work in right now up to this point, and I certainly hope it goes well and I'm sure you do too, even more so.

But if it doesn't go well, you always have a next opportunity to do things better. So I would encourage you, keep that in the back of your mind. If this exam doesn't go great, there's always one a few months away or less even. So you could focus and reorient yourself towards that and aim to do better the next time.

For more, I've got an entire playlist focused on LSAT Test Day prep here -----> and several articles on LSAT Test Day prep here ----->








1 comment:

  1. Want to enhance the functionality and user experience of your website? This business can assist you with optimizing your website for enhanced user engagement, performance, and search engine rankings. Additionally, we may offer specialized solutions that address your company's demands and support your online objectives. Also this site using annotated data. So look at this website for more helpful information!

    ReplyDelete