How to deal with tough LSAT words

Hello again.

Today we’ll continue building on our Logical Reasoning foundation with some key LR vocab. Yay!

…Ok, I understand vocabulary isn’t the most exciting thing in the world, but nothing’s worse than getting tripped up by a word you don’t know, or more likely, one that’s used in a sense you aren’t immediately familiar with.

That’s really where the LSAT gets tricky. The test writers like to use the less common definitions of words to make sure you’re paying attention.

For example, on the LSAT, “phenomenon” usually means “event” instead of “something unusual”. Another one I see a lot is using the word “advance” to mean “promote an argument” instead of “literally moving something forward
In my Logical Reasoning Vocab Words article, I’ve broken these words broken down into categories: words directly related to arguments, verbs, adverbs, adjectives and nouns.


You probably know most of these words. However, it pays to be thorough so give the list a look over and look up any you aren’t unsure about. Murphy’s Law means if you don’t know one, that’s bound to be the one that shows up on the test.

There are also some words you definitely know the meanings of, but can cause you way more trouble than any of the four-syllable monstrosities in that list.

These sneaky words include: except, unless, until, and without.

Depending on how they’re used, they can drastically alter the meaning of a sentence.

This is getting a little long, so I won’t go into here but if you’re interested in finding out more I get into it in this article.

That’ll do it for now!

Good studying,

Steve “The LSAT Decoder” Schwartz


P.S. If you missed my last article on LSAT Logical Reasoning topics or just want to go over it again, here’s the most important link on this.

P.P.S. I've written a killer logical fallacies worksheet that I'll share with you soon. Keep an eye out for it in my next article.


Recommended Resources:

1. LSAT CoursesThe best of my LSAT material with exclusive access to attend my Live Online LSAT Master Classes + Q&As, and on-demand video lessons you can watch anytime. Plus, LSAT study plans to keep you on track. Save hundreds of dollars with an LSAT course package.

2. Logical Reasoning Explanations
The explanations that should have come with the LSAT. These don't just fall back on "out of scope," but actually tell you why the wrong answers are wrong, why the right answers are right, and the easiest way to get the correct answer.

3. Logical Reasoning Cheat Sheet
Based on what I'd typically do in college: read what the professor emphasized and condense it all onto a single piece of paper. It gave me a quick reference, making things a lot less threatening and a lot more manageable.





No comments:

Post a Comment