LSAT Diary: Law School Visit, TV, and Distractions

Law and Order LSAT BlogRosemary's first LSAT Diary gave some tips on getting started with LSAT studying. In this week's LSAT Diary, Rosemary deals with the distraction of watching TV, finds a study space, and visits her first-choice law school.

If you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)


Rosemary's 2nd LSAT Diary
Studying this week has gotten off to a slow start but I’m starting to recognize my limitations and address them.

I’m a TV addict. I can’t tell you the countless hours I have spent mindlessly flipping through 150 channels only to end up watching Law and Order reruns. Seriously - they're on all hours of the day and night! Take for example, last Saturday, when I found myself caught up in a three-hour Buffy the Vampire Slayer marathon. Unless the LSAC starts asking questions about how to simultaneously kill three vampires, this was a colossal waste of an afternoon.

My solution has been to program my DVR for exactly 4 hours of television viewing pleasure per week. This way I can watch my favorite shows at a time that’s better conducive to my study schedule, and I turn the television off as soon as the show is over. After all, this is the last season of Lost and I need to know what happens each week!

As much as I love studying at home and having easy access to the fridge, if I’m going to get serious this time I have to leave my humble abode and head to the library. Sometimes students need to treat studying like a full time job and commit to specific time schedules for studying or researching. By going to the library, I’m free of distractions and can focus on the task at hand. This is especially true on the days when I have 6 or 7 reading comprehension passages to go through and I can think of a 1001 things I’d rather be doing instead.

The highlight of my week was visiting my first-choice law school school. I got the chance to sit in on a property class, have a tour of the school with a 3L, and sit down one on one with an admissions counselor. If you haven’t visited a law school before, I highly encourage it! The property class was really interesting and dispelled any fears I had about the Socratic Method. The student tour was great because I found out about student employment on campus, daily study habits, and student housing - things you don't find in brochures on the school website.

The best part was sitting down with the admissions counselor. I really got a feel for what type of student they were looking for and I found out the personal statement carries more weight then I originally thought. I left the school energized knowing I really wanted to go there and that by studying hard for the LSAT would just mean I am one step closer!

Photo by finn / CC BY-NC-SA 2.0



No comments:

Post a Comment