LSAT Diary: Greatest Lesson from Studying, and Focusing on Logic Games

LSAT Blog Diary Greatest Lesson from Studying, and Focusing on Logic Games
This installment of LSAT Diaries comes from Ryle, who improved from the 155 to a 164 on the February 2017 LSAT after taking the Starter LSAT Course and focusing on Logic Games. That's nearly a 10-point increase!

If you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)

Thanks to Ryle for sharing his experience and advice!

***

Ryle's LSAT Diary:

Hi all! My name is Ryle Cameron. I was an English student at McMaster University in Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, where I spent 4 years loathing most of my English courses and enjoying most everything else - hindsight is 20/20. I took a mock LSAT through Princeton Review at the beginning of my third year, which I used to diagnose my strengths and weaknesses regarding the LSAT. I was pleasantly surprised with a 155. Reading Comprehension was my strongest, while Logic Games were my weakest. No surprise there.

Fast-forward about a year and a half to when I took 5 weeks off at the start of 2017 to study for the February LSAT. This is not doable for many, but it would (obviously) be ideal if you could. I can't help you with that, but I can at least detail what I did and my reasons for doing so.

I was told about the LSAT Blog by friends who had either completed law school or were in the process thereof, and had found the site and resources extremely useful. I decided to buy the most basic package because, I reasoned, I either a) study as best as I could and spend ~$500 Cdn. to write the test a couple of times; or b) spend the same amount to get some help to focus my time, and, (I hoped) only write once.

The 4-week calendar was the most helpful piece of the package to me. Instead of having to chase down questions of the same type to practice on, I had them all listed and in manageable amounts in front of me. I followed it to a tee for the first 2.5 weeks (focusing on Logic Games), then more loosely for the next 2.5 as I wrote full practice tests and eventually timed, test-day scenario tests (with the recommended geek-watch, which was helpful).

Perhaps the greatest lesson I learned was to not get too high from a great mark, and too low from a poor one. I averaged a 159 on my practices, which was discouraging; I needed a higher mark to balance out my poorer GPA. The last practice I wrote before test day was a 166; great news! ...except that it was practice - so while I was happy I achieved that, it really meant nothing to my test day.

This may rub some of you the wrong way, and I don't include it to give the impression that because I am a Christian, God gave me the mark I received. However, as I Christian I took great comfort in the fact that I needn't worry about the test. As a result, I was slightly anxious heading into the test and only determined by the start of it. I was confident in my preparation and could leave the results to God. As it turned out, I received a 164, which I am very thankful to the Lord for; I believe it good enough to balance my GPA and be competitive.

I plan on applying to law school for 2018, and possibly deferring to 2019 (pending acceptance, of course) if I decide to pursue a Masters degree first.



No comments:

Post a Comment