how to prevent LSAT burnout

Here's an email I got from a student recently:

I always denied that burn out is a real 'thing' (If it is, I swear that I am straight-up burned out, my PTs have actually been in slight decline lately). In other words, how would PTing every single day as opposed to every other day lead to score drops?


In a nutshell, here was my response:
The point of full-length timed tests is not to get through as many as possible. The point is to improving your pacing and endurance, while exposing yourself to the newest exams.

You need TIME to engage in detailed review of the exams that you take. For almost everyone, there's not enough time to do this properly and completely on the same day that you take the exam.

Burnout is real, people.
One of my former students had to learn this the hard way:

I had every workbook, every practice test, every possible resource, and yet I felt really stuck a few months into studying for the LSAT. I was nowhere near my goal in terms of scoring, and I felt like I was doing everything I could do without making any progress. I was studying hours every day over the summer, working on logic puzzles and logical reasoning questions until my frustration and exhaustion would become too much. It was a terrible routine, and I was feeling more and more defeated every time I studied.


Resting and only taking full PTs every other day ISN'T laziness.

If you don't take any rest days, you WILL burn out.

Burnout results from doing too much work in too short a period of time (essentially, overtraining). I have seen it in many, many, students who try to PT every single day. You can only take so much before you become fatigued.

To me, this seems like the most likely explanation for your score drop.

So, PLEASE - for the love of God -
make sure to follow the rest days in my LSAT study plans.


I include them for a reason.

-Steve


P.S. Seriously. If you're not going to take ANY off-days, then please don't buy.


Recommended Resources:

1. LSAT Courses
The best of my LSAT material with exclusive access to attend my Live Online LSAT Master Classes + Q&As, and on-demand video lessons you can watch anytime. Plus, LSAT study plans to keep you on track. Save hundreds of dollars with an LSAT course package.

2. LSAT Day-By-Day Study Plans
Preparing for the LSAT is confusing. There are dozens of prep books and practice tests out there, and 1,000+ articles on my website alone. When, and how, should you use them all? These super-specific study plans give you a clear plan of attack.

3. LSAT Cheat Sheets
Based on what I'd typically do in college: read what the professor emphasized and condense it all onto a single piece of paper. It gave me a quick reference, making things a lot less threatening and a lot more manageable.





No comments:

Post a Comment