How Andy turned an LSAT tragedy into a triumph

Today we’re going to meet former LSAT student Andy, who turned tragedy into a triumph.

Andy will be the first to admit in his LSAT Diary entry that he didn't study nearly has hard as he should have for his first LSAT, and that came back and bit him with a score that wasn’t even close to what he wanted.
Determined to do better, Andy discovered my 4-month day-by-day LSAT study schedule and got to work. The result: a 15-point improvement to a score of 169!

Andy learned a few things in this process – here are just a few of his tips - in his own words:


1. Review. Take a break. Review:
For my first initial PrepTests, I was flabbergasted behind some of the reasoning for the correct answers. On rare occasions, I would spend up to an hour thinking of why B was right over A until I got it. It almost didn’t seem worth it. I revised my strategy for reviewing, circling the questions I really didn’t understand and coming back to them after a nap or a nice run. Mental breaks from problems allowed me to approach the question again from another perspective; whereas without it, I was still stuck in a particular train of thought.  



2. Work with a small desk:
I mainly studied on a small, cheap IKEA desk in my room. It was flimsy, bothersome, and pretty similar to my test center conditions. Because I was used to tiny desks normally, I didn’t have to fiddle around like the other test takers around me to adjust on test day.



3. Talk to people:
It can really help to ease the nerves, especially approaching test day. Talking to people before the exam helped, it made me realize we were all nervous people ready to get this over. It also made me realize that quite a number of people were retaking and that it was a-okay.



I love this, because it’s the kind of advice you can only get from someone who has been there before. How many LSAT prep guides tell you to practice on a small desk?!

Check out Andy's full LSAT Diary to get his full story (and more of his tips).


Keep at it!
LSAT Steve


Recommended Resources:

1. LSAT Courses
The best of my LSAT material with exclusive access to attend my Live Online LSAT Master Classes + Q&As, and on-demand video lessons you can watch anytime. Plus, LSAT study plans to keep you on track. Save hundreds of dollars with an LSAT course package.

2. LSAT Day-By-Day Study Plans
Preparing for the LSAT is confusing. There are dozens of prep books and practice tests out there, and 1,000+ articles on my website alone. When, and how, should you use them all? These super-specific study plans give you a clear plan of attack.

3. LSAT Cheat Sheets
Based on what I'd typically do in college: read what the professor emphasized and condense it all onto a single piece of paper. It gave me a quick reference, making things a lot less threatening and a lot more manageable.








No comments:

Post a Comment