LSAT Diary: Staying Focused During LSAT Prep

LSAT Blog Diary Staying Focused During LSAT Prep
This LSAT Diary is from Kenneth, who shares his methods for staying focused during his LSAT prep.

If you want to be in LSAT Diaries, please email me at LSATUnplugged@gmail.com. (You can be in LSAT Diaries whether you've taken the exam already or not.)

Leave Kenneth some encouragement, and share your tips for staying focused and organized below in the comments!

Kenneth's LSAT Diary:

I am burned (out). It probably has something to do with my bringing my study binder to the beach. But hey, it was Labor Day weekend. C'mon!

Anyhow, here's a story: Shannon and I walked into a gas station. We went to the beverage coolers. She wanted a can of Diet Coke. I came along for the trip. I'd decided to take the LSAT a few weeks prior, occasionally glancing at PrepTests and leisurely taking them before beginning my 3-month study schedule on the first of September. As Shannon and I stood facing the coolers, I noted the price of each can – .95 cents – and a question from the June 2007 LSAT popped into my head: the one that starts off, "Standard aluminum soft-drink cans do not vary in the amount of aluminum that they contain…"

“Do you want anything?” Shannon said.

“No. No … I'm good,” I said, shaking my head slowly.

Before now, I'd spent the last five years studying “writing” at an art school and eventually parlayed that into a journalism career. I worked in the field for a year before deciding to finish my degree and head for law school. I might also mention that I've never studied for anything, ever.

High school exams, GED, SAT – none required any studying and I faired well (I think). And now my worry, upon first writing Steve, was that I'd have to learn the art of studying before I could begin actual studying for the LSAT.

After buying all my test prep materials, organizing them into a binder with each week according to the LSAT Blog 3-month day-by-day study guide (per the LSAT diarist who organized his binder into days, too), I began cracking down last weekend to prepare for my test on December 7. (What a day, right?)

Every time I pick up a book, I worry that I'm nowhere capable of achieving my desired score. I consistently comfort myself by saying my background in journalism will help, that I don't need the best score. This comfort, of course, is fleeting.

But then I look at the guide, the books, the games: everything is so plainly laid out. Everything makes logical sense and there's no trickery. So I begin to think to myself that the LSAT isn't only about logic, sequencing, or reasoning, but more so discipline.

Several days into studying and I'm starting to see small improvements. Having the mental fortitude to will myself onward is what has helped me move through my trouble areas, no matter how difficult. I've decided to spend more time on logical and analytical reasoning as those are where I've faltered most. Reading comprehension seems to be where I struggle least.

In order to juggle my freelance writing, personal projects, and completing my undergraduate along with a withering social life, I've mapped out each day by what I need to complete, and not allot time to do it in. Finding the time in small increments is easiest for me. How do you devour a whale? One bite at a time.

One thing I find really helpful, if I know I'll have a large chunk of time for studying, is to start off with a Sudoku or crossword game in the morning paper. If you're a morning bird, it's a way to enjoy your coffee, get ready for the day, and begin exercising the muscle you'll be using to study. Of course, if you're a fan of these games, doing well on them will also increase your confidence heading into studying. I know they do for me.

So while I'm still navigating this world of “studying,” I'm learning that the study process is much like what I've heard the test is: methodical, steady, formulaic. Add a modicum of perseverance and a dash of fortitude, and I feel like I'm well on my way to a day that will, in my life now more than ever, live in infamy.

Photo by bobaubuchon



3 comments:

  1. I also begin my day with a Sudoku puzzle to warm up my brain! I am preparing to take December LSAT's as well, after being a stay-at-home mom for over 20 years. Yikes! I'm often very nervous and not at all confident, but I keep plugging away at the books. I took an (timed)exam to give myself a reference for showing any (hoped for) improvement. Just took another exam and am up 5 points. Not too bad for not even finishing one book yet. I agree with you, you do not need to get the best score. I just want to have some options as to where I attend school. Best of luck to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kenneth, it's so funny, but I totally remember the LSAT problem about the aluminum cans that you referenced in the beginning of your post! Good luck! I'm taking the Oct 5th test, so I feel your pain- but you're going to do such an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's good you already know where your strengths are. As you study, just maintain that strength and focus on your weaknesses too. LSAT isn't a direct skill learned in school, so don't think you're at a disadvantage. LSAT skills are learned and acquired for everyone at varying rates. Also, try taking exams under real-life conditions, like a coffee shop or cafe. The noise level will be worse than during the actual exam but it will help you adjust to filtering out the noise and concentrating. I know that has helped me. All the best to you! :)

    ReplyDelete