How I finally started studying for the LSAT

Studying for the LSAT is really hard.

And, because it's hard, other things always seemed to "get in the way."

I spent days crossing off all the easier things on my to-do list.

There was always my email to check, news feeds, and another episode or three of something to binge-watch.

Even cleaning my room seemed more appealing. At least it didn't make me feel stupid.

It took me MONTHS to go from:

THINKING about studying --------------------------------------------> ACTUALLY studying.
Somewhere along that arrow is what separates people CAPABLE of getting high scores from those who actually ***GET*** high scores.


Here's how I did it:

* I put my cell phone on Airplane mode.

People were not allowed to contact me (and I was not allowed to contact other people) during "study time."


* I turned off my computer's WiFi (or didn't even bring it with me).
I'd typically go to the library or a cafe, and I would pre-load whatever websites / PDFs I "needed to study."

Even better, I PRINTED OUT what I needed aside from physical LSAT books and left the computer at home. The Internet has more non-LSAT distractions than actual useful LSAT stuff.


* I gave myself small rewards during study breaks.

A lot of the LSAT books I read were really, really boring. And my brain needed a break from doing LSAT sections every once in a while. So I promised myself rewards for getting through a chapter of a book, or a section of the LSAT.




Some people reward themselves with junk food, 1,000+ calorie lattes, or alcohol.

Sure, I probably had a bit too much of those back when I was studying, but I usually picked a different "poison..."


I rewarded myself by...............

watching an episode of Chappelle's Show.
Chappelle's Show

Remember Dave Chappelle?

It might sound silly, but I really got a kick out of watching him as a break from my studying. I just needed something light after all those boring and serious questions about heart disease and dinosaur extinction.

So, give it a try sometime. If not that, maybe the Kardashians?

Anyway, I'll leave you with one of my favorite skits from Chappelle's Show. (Totally NSFW, yet hilarious!)


http://www.cc.com/video-clips/iuegla/chappelle-s-show-charlie-murphy-s-true-hollywood-stories---rick-james-pt--1---uncensored


Peace,
Steve


P.S. I also used these EXACT strategies years later when I wrote over 1000+ LSAT explanations. That's how well they worked.


P.P.S. Check out my YouTube playlist to get some of my best LSAT motivation videos.


Recommended Resources:

1. LSAT Courses
The best of my LSAT material with exclusive access to attend my Live Online LSAT Master Classes + Q&As, and on-demand video lessons you can watch anytime. Plus, LSAT study plans to keep you on track. Save hundreds of dollars with an LSAT course package.

2. LSAT Day-By-Day Study Plans
Preparing for the LSAT is confusing. There are dozens of prep books and practice tests out there, and 1,000+ articles on my website alone. When, and how, should you use them all? These super-specific study plans give you a clear plan of attack.

3. LSAT Cheat Sheets
Based on what I'd typically do in college: read what the professor emphasized and condense it all onto a single piece of paper. It gave me a quick reference, making things a lot less threatening and a lot more manageable.




No comments:

Post a Comment