how smoking and eating fried Twinkies can improve your LSAT score

If you've ever tried to study for the LSAT (or anything), you've probably noticed you start "forgetting" (or actually forgetting) other stuff you should be doing.

Makes sense, you only have so much energy to do things you don't enjoy.

When I was studying for the LSAT, my room was filthy. I hadn't done laundry in weeks, and my garbage can was full of take-out containers. There were days the delivery guy was the only other human I saw besides my roommate.

Why'd I become such a mess?

Part of it was that I got obsessed with getting a high score (and I'm still obsessed with everything LSAT.)

But another part of it was that I was spending most of my "self-control energy" on the LSAT. I wasn't trying to...

* go to the gym every day
* eat the perfect low-carb diet
* look like a GQ model

I was trying to get a super-high LSAT score to make up for my less-than-ideal undergraduate GPA.

And my diet was only SLIGHTLY better than FourLoko, and McDonald's.
LSAT Diet
(Actually, it was mainly burritos, for those paying attention.)

Anywayyyyy, if I'd taken on all sorts of other self-improvement challenges, a sky-high LSAT score wouldn't have been possible.

I didn't know about this at the time, but it turns out that there's a scientific concept called "ego depletion."

Basically, it means we all have limited amounts of willpower, and we "spend" it throughout the day. (Click here to find out more about this.)

If we do things we might not want to do - like go to the gym, or eat salad for lunch instead of a burger, we might have less to spend on things like LSAT studying.

If you've used one of my LSAT study plans, you know that how you structure your time is REALLY important.

If you can't focus on the LSAT for very long, it might be because you're dividing your "self-control energy" between too many things that require it.



WHAT YOU SHOULD TAKE FROM THIS:
If you spread your limited willpower around and attempt lots of self-improvement goals like quitting smoking, losing weight, while you're trying to study for the LSAT....

You're less likely to achieve ANY of them.


You're much better off choosing one at a time and giving it your all.


Obviously, I think you should focus on the LSAT (it worked for my student Brandon).

Keep chain-smoking and gorging on fried twinkies. You can always get super-healthy later, after you ace the LSAT. (Disclaimer: I'm not a doctor.)

Whatever you decide, focus your self-control on one thing at a time (especially important for retakers).

Speaking of which...are you retaking the LSAT? If so, click this link.



Talk soon,
Steve - LSAT Lord


P.S. If you do choose to focus on the LSAT, try to get out of the house and go for a walk each day, maybe eat a salad every once in a while. Your brain works better when you get a bit of fresh air, sunlight, and the occasional vegetable.


Recommended Resources:

1. LSAT Courses
The best of my LSAT material with exclusive access to attend my Live Online LSAT Master Classes + Q&As, and on-demand video lessons you can watch anytime. Plus, LSAT study plans to keep you on track. Save hundreds of dollars with an LSAT course package.

2. LSAT Day-By-Day Study Plans
Preparing for the LSAT is confusing. There are dozens of prep books and practice tests out there, and 1,000+ articles on my website alone. When, and how, should you use them all? These super-specific study plans give you a clear plan of attack.

3. LSAT Cheat Sheets
Based on what I'd typically do in college: read what the professor emphasized and condense it all onto a single piece of paper. It gave me a quick reference, making things a lot less threatening and a lot more manageable.





No comments:

Post a Comment