Is sitting down *actually* killing you?

My brain's kinda messed up from too much LSAT, so I can't help noticing potential correlation/causation flaws in the evidence related to these claims.

Can't help it. It's just who I am now.


For example...


"Obese people sit for 2.5 more hours per day than thin people."

Didja ever stop to think that maybe they sit because they're obese???

This is one of those alternate possibilities to consider when dealing with correlation/causation arguments.

Instead of the conditional statement:

>>>>>>>>>> sitting ---> obese 

(if you sit too much, you will become obese)


It might be:

>>>>>>>>>> obese ---> sit

(if you are obese, you'll sit more)


Think about it:

Standing and running around is hard when you weigh more. Just try wearing a weighted vest for 5 minutes and see what it feels like.


When I saw this infographic, it reminded me that I DO sit a lot.

Maybe you do too, if you use a computer a lot...or you're studying for the LSAT.

So consider this a reminder not to sit for too long.

One thing that can help is a standing desk.

I got this one a few years ago and love it.
standing desk
If you get one, just make sure to get into standing while working / on your computer gradually, and don't make the mistake of standing *too* much at a time.

Personally, I alternate between standing and sitting.

Some people go a step further and actually use treadmill desks!
I think that's more than a bit of overkill, but...bottom line:

exercise is good, so take a break from the books every once in a while to stretch your legs.


If you don't want to walk for hours, a standing desk might be a step in the right direction (no pun intended).


Got some LSAT knowledge coming your way next time, so...

Stay tuned,
LSAT Steve


Recommended Resources:

1. LSAT Courses

The best of my LSAT material with exclusive access to attend my Live Online LSAT Master Classes + Q&As, and on-demand video lessons you can watch anytime. Plus, LSAT study plans to keep you on track. Save hundreds of dollars with an LSAT course package.

2. LSAT Day-By-Day Study Plans
Preparing for the LSAT is confusing. There are dozens of prep books and practice tests out there, and 1,000+ articles on my website alone. When, and how, should you use them all? These super-specific study plans give you a clear plan of attack.

3. LSAT Cheat Sheets
Based on what I'd typically do in college: read what the professor emphasized and condense it all onto a single piece of paper. It gave me a quick reference, making things a lot less threatening and a lot more manageable.





No comments:

Post a Comment